As it is food and drink fortnight we caught up with Edinburgh Castle baker Red, who gave us an awesome recipe for cheese scones… we know, we are too good to you! The recipe makes 8 scones so you can either scoff them yourselves or share!
Here’s what you need:
- 225g self-raising flour
- 150ml milk, or buttermilk for a slightly richer scone
- 55g butter
- 100g grated mature cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 25ml Scotch bonnet sauce – available from the Edinburgh Castle Portcullis Gift Shop.
Scotch bonnet sauce – available from the Edinburgh Castle Portcullis Gift Shop.
Now the instructions:
- Pre heat your oven to 200 C, gas mark 6, or 400 F
- Rub together the butter, flour and salt until it looks like fine breadcrumbs
- Mix in the grated cheese
- Add the milk slowly – not all at once as you may not need it all. Form the dough into a ball and gently press out until it is 2cm thick and the size of a dinner plate. Cut into 8 wedges, brush with a little beaten egg or milk, and bake for 12 to 14 minutes
A cheese scone is best served still warm with lashings of butter!
The finished masterpiece.
Share your pictures with us @welovehistory. Also, if you have some great recipes of your own please share. Now for another cheese scone …